Hundreds of Kids Poisoned by Detergent Pods Mistaken for Candy
There have been a high number of accidental poisonings involving laundry detergent packets, according to a new study.
Those convenient little laundry detergent packets pose a serious risk to kids who mistake them for candy, according to the Associated Press.
A new study has found that accidental poisonings from the packets have landed more than 700 U.S. children in the hospital over the past two years. Kids that have bitten into the packets of concentrated liquid soap have gotten serious burns, and in worse cases have gone into comas or seizures.
The study showed that 144 children had eye injuries, 30 went into comas and 12 had seizures. Detergent packets have been the cause of over 17,000 poison center calls and at least one death last year.
Manufacturers have been working on developing safer packing and revising labels to prevent these incidents.