Can You Believe a Massachusetts Man Swallowed An AirPod in His Sleep?
I finally get to tell my wife “I told you so.”
That doesn’t happen often so I couldn’t believe my luck, and Brad Gauthier’s luck, when I read this story on nypost.com.
Brad Gauthier of Massachusetts fell asleep with his Apple AirPods listening to music and when he woke up, he could not find one, the article stated. He searched and searched and then headed out to shovel snow.
When he took a break to grab some water the water would not go down his throat, according to the New York Post, and Gauthier’s son first voiced the idea his dad might have swallowed the missing AirPod.
Gauthier told local TV Station 22 news, as reported by the nypost.com, “By that point, my son and wife… brought it up jokingly at first, but it seemed too coincidental that I would be missing it when I knew I went to bed with it. I felt a distinct blockage in the center of my chest.”
After a quick trip to the ER and an X-ray later, turns out he DID swallow the AirPod, according to the Post, and doctors were baffled that Gauthier was not in more pain and had spent his morning shoveling snow.
The doctors were able to remove the AirPod with a thin tube, and Gauthier was lucky he didn’t suffer further damage or more severe discomfort, the report stated.
Gauthier wanted to share his story to warn others of the dangers of sleeping with the AirPods in your ears.
This brings me to the point that I have a frequent argument with my wife because she likes to listen to audiobooks to fall asleep and her AirPods invariably fall out and she makes me move my blankets and pillows searching for her missing AirPod. I keep telling her she should not fall asleep with them because it is dangerous.
Now I get to say, “I told you so,” and it feels so good.
I am happy that Brad Gauthier made a speedy recovery and didn’t suffer much.