Maine could join New Hampshire, and 18 other states which have already passed the law banning use of cellphones and other handheld devices while driving.

Maine is moving ahead with the process to make the state hands free. According to the Journal Tribune, the measure passed the House 117-23 on Tuesday and 22-12 in the Senate earlier this week. Senator Bill Diamond  said “I think we are going to see some tremendous changes in terms of the safety of our highways.” Diamond stated that there wan't any debate in the house, and it's likely Governor Janet Mills will sign it into law. "Texting and driving is a huge issue we need to address, which is why there was no opposition to this," Diamond said.

Maine banned texting and driving 7 years ago, but this law would expand it to talking, texting or using a handheld device while driving, even at a stoplight or in stopped traffic.

If it does become law, expect a $50 fine for the first offense. According to the Journal Tribune, it can go up to $500 and a three-month license suspension for multiple violations.